Debugging tools

Jim O'Leary joleary.public at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 11:20:38 EDT 2006

Are there any debugging tools for MapGuide OS? When I add an enhancement to
an existing sample, the enhancement does not appear but there is no
indication from the application where the problem lies.

For example, recently I set out to add point redlining to the line redlining
sample, draw_line.php, modifying the code from
create_new_point_layer_definition.php and adding it to draw_line.php.
However, the map continued to redline the lines, but not the points, with no
debug messages.

I got deep into the code and realized I had to add a PointTypeStyle section
to the layerDefinition. I could find nothing in the documentation or in the
output of the program to indicate that this was the problem. It took me
several hours to do this.

I think that developers who want to use the MapGuide APIs should not have to
get into the code at the level of a core developer in order to use it. I
suspect that many would not have the time to do that. A debugging tool would
be most helpful.