[mapguide-users] Example sites

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Mon Sep 18 13:40:59 EDT 2006

The underlying foundation of the site is the same regardless of whether you
are displaying world-wide or regional data.  You could approach it a couple
of different ways.  First, you could author one map that has all of your
layers contained in it and then control their availability through zoom
thresholds.  Or, you could approach it from a drill-down perspective.  You
start with the world view, the user clicks the hyperlink for the country, a
new web layout or map is then substituted in the main window or a new window
opens displaying that country.  From there, you could click on hyperlinks
for city's and so on.   Both of these options could be accomplished using
"out-of-the-box" functionality.

There are many other approaches that you could take using the API.  For
instance, from your world map, if the user zooms in, send the view envelope
to the server and determine which layers have extents that intersect that
envelope and only display those layer names in the legend as being
available.  A good approach would be to design a database that holds all of
your layer metadata and then you could build a dynamic, data driven
application.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com