[mapguide-users] Unable to start MGServer on a VPS

Trevor Wekel trevor.wekel at autodesk.com
Mon Apr 23 12:14:02 EDT 2007

What VPS technology are you using?  I have had some success using
Virtuozzo.  MapGuide will attempt to open ports 2800, 2801, and 2802 on
all interfaces.  Generally even if a firewall is blocking traffic to
these ports, MapGuide will still be able to listen on the same  ports.
It will simply never receive any connections.  If was to hazard a guess,
I would suspect that another process has already bound to these ports.
If you run 'netstat -ano' from the command line and you see a line like
this

TCP    0.0.0.0:2801           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
4812

Then that means process 4812 has already bound port 2801.  You should be
able to use Task Manager to track down which process has the port.