[mapguide-users] Where did the original MapGuide Open Source code come from?

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Mon Aug 20 05:59:18 EDT 2007

I'm without "internal knowledge" on the subject, but I was explained
that the Autodesk MapGuide lineup, that ended with 6.5, contains
proprietary code, and as such, were not possible to repackage into an
open source version.
Although MapGuide was briefly named MapServer before being released,
MapServer is actually another product which still exists:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/

So, the MapGuide source code was/is developed primarily by Autodesk.
Some of the MapGuide components are based on discontinued Autodesk
products, ea. the rendering engine.
I don't know how much code is being contributed by community
programmers, but many commits have Autodesk emails adresses.

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S