[mapguide-users] MOS 2 Beta 2 and ecw support

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Dec 19 11:19:10 EST 2007

For this release, the GDAL provider distributed with MapGuide Open
Source is relatively recent (1.4.4) and works well.  However, ECW and
MrSID formats have unfortunate licensing terms from an open source
perspective, and we can't distribute them from an OSGeo server.

Fortunately, Frank Warmerdam has taken on the task of building and
distributing these plug-ins for GDAL, so at least we have a solution.

My personal hope is that these companies eventually see the benefits of
open sourcing at least the decoder portions of their formats under
licenses that are compatible with open source projects.  ECW had a
just-about-there license, but the license terms changed earlier this
year.

Jason