[mapguide-users] Generating tiles for google maps

azpublic azpublic at bluewin.ch
Thu Dec 20 11:05:18 EST 2007

Thanks for your help.

I think the problem if we do it this way is that the zoom levels won't match
precisely.
Google and Microsoft use QuadTiles for their maps.
Meaning that each tile at a specific zoom level is divided in 4 tiles at the
next zoom level.

I thought that with this information we could figure out what were the
different MapGuide zoom  levels to define in studio and then reuse them in
the automated tiling engine ...

For example :

If at goolge zoom level 17 the world fits perfectly in a 256 x 256 pixels
square we could calculate the corresponding mapguide scale  ??? am I wrong ?

http://mt0.google.com/mt?n=404&v=w2.66&x=0&y=0&zoom=17&s=

Then do the same at zoom level 16 where the world is (2 x 256) x (2x256)
pixels and so on.

We could then use these scales in the automated Tiling Engine for a specific
Map of which the boundaries would exactly correspd to a given Google maps
tile at a higher zoom level.

What do you think ?