[mapguide-users] Confusion on licensing of Mapguide Studio 2007

Arnold Schwabe ars80 at telus.net
Sun Feb 11 14:24:20 EST 2007

I'll add my 2 cents here. Jason makes a valid point that resellers are
looking at Enterprise as an upsell. Having worked for a reseller in the
recent past, there is pressure on them to sell software. However, I think
Autodesk has been making some very good strides in encouraging their
resellers to also sell solutions and are providing leadership and
assistance, especially in the geospatial market. It is up to the reseller if
they take that advice to heart.

It is unfortunate that some of the resellers are "panning" MGOS because it's
a great solution for some companies. I also think Studio is part of that
solution. If I was maintaining a site with Enterprise or Open Source, Studio
would make my life much easier and I would encourage the organization I was
with to purchase a copy. As for your reseller telling you that Studio may or
may not work with MGOS, I think you would get a reliable second opinion from
this group. I believe many of them have already tried and/or done it and
they could easily tell you if there are any issues.

I think it's going to take some time to see how all of this shakes down.
It's all new to resellers and Autodesk. Both have traditionally approached
the industry as a market for software sales and it's going to be awhile
before everyone realizes the full impact (and potential) of Autodesk's
decision to release Mapguide as open source.

Arnold S.