[mapguide-users] Maps from raster images

Haran Shivanan haran at ecyber.com
Tue Feb 20 23:27:39 EST 2007

Hi,

I've installed MapGuide Open source successfully as well as the
AutoDesk.Raster provider.
I'm trying to get a feel for the system and have a question:

I have a jpeg image that represents an entire map. I want to be able to
load it into the MapGuide server and display it as a map with various
regions on the image marked out.
I want to somehow 'edit' the jpeg and divide it into various regions and
have them show up as such in MapGuide. From what I could grok, the way
to do this is to create a georeference file for that jpeg and then
import the jpeg image and create a feature datasource and a
corresponding layer.
Then create a map and put that layer on the map.

Is this correct?
How do I create the georeference file for a raster image.?
Is there any easy way to do this?
Does MapGuide Web Studio or MapGuide Studio 2007 support this?

Pointers to any docs that explain this stuff would be helpful.
I'm assuming this is a common enough task but I'm feeding the wrong
keywords to Google because I'm unable to find anything useful.

Thanks,
Haran