[mapguide-users] Problem with OS Geo FDOProviderfor Raster.

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Thu Feb 22 01:42:13 EST 2007

I agree that all of the awareness that the likes of Google Maps/Earth,
Microsoft Live, etc. has brought to the masses has in turn raised the user
expectations of any web-based GIS application.  This is a double-edged sword
for us in that the awareness is great, but providing similar performance is
next to impossible since we simply do not have the hardware to throw at our
applications.  I also agree that enhancing raster functionality is going to
be critical for the future of MGOS and other applications and will look for
additional funding from clients needing this added functionality.  I would
also be willing to independently contribute some of my own (company) dollars
to functionality enhancements like this if there is a good road map with
detailed functional specs (similar to our RFC's) and timelines to be adhered
to.  In the end, it would result in functionality that would be appealing to
my clients and should would lead to future work.  How can we effectively
start to build these buckets of dollars from potentially multiple
contributors and prioritize the enhancement needs?

One area where raster performance gains can be achieved is to use base
layers (tiles) as they do result in much faster map displays since the
rendering is already done.  But, this area also needs some work - some of
which is currently being addressed, some of which is on wish-lists.
Pre-rendering the tiles is critical, however and hopefully we'll see more
people scripting this task or for this functionality to be added to the
core.

Andy

  _____