[mapguide-internals] RE: [mapguide-users] Problem with OS Geo FDOProviderfor Raster.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 22 12:27:44 EST 2007

Jason Birch wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>
>> However, I'm not completely certain that this will scale
>> to datasources with 50000 individual files.
>
> So, you're thinking of referencing an external FDO vector feature and
> doing an envelope-intersects type operation?

Jason,

Well, I suppose this would be the right solution (as opposed to
the expedient solution of my just using OGR for the tileindex).

>> More generally I would like to see MapGuide and FDO consider
>> participating in the OSGeo Project Sponsorship program:
>
> I like this idea a lot in concept, but in practice it would be a lot
> harder for me to do this than it would to generate a PO for a given
> statement of work from a consultant.  Like a lot of open source stuff,
> it's a non-traditional system, and takes quite a bit of work to
> explain/justify to traditional purchasing departments.

My hope is that "earmarked sponsorship" can be handled as a purchase
order for specific delivered functionality even if it goes through
the foundation.  I would agree that general sponsorship is a harder
sell from a "purchasing" point of view.

PS. I hate these cross postings.

Best regards,