[Mapguide_users] Possible DoS to MGOS 1.1.0.RC1 Fedora 6 comes from newest GE client (XP)

Atanas Rusev toltec at clubextreme.org
Tue Jan 2 18:34:59 EST 2007

I was surprised when I used GETMAPKML (Fedora 6, MGOS 1.1.0.RC1, fdo 3.2)
with the new google earth client (XP)(4.0.2693 (beta) Dec 15 2006) to view
my Resource. For seconds my linux server goes to its knees with load average
of 20 or more, MGOS stop responding (no seg faults). Full of  same errors in
apache2 fastcgi, etc. I replay it more than 10 times with the same result.
Stopping GE slowly get back the normal load and MGOS begin to serve  data.

In the same time using the previous GE client (XP, 4.0.2416 (beta) 31 Oct
2006) is just a fun - no load on the server, nothing.

I havent time to test it with the GE client- linux or further investigate,
just report what happens in my env. And of course it is not the place to
talk about gE bla.

It seems the problem is not in MGOS, but if it is true, anyone with newest
ge client can DoS your MGOS and your linux server if you have export to ge
in your application. I'm not tested it on MGOS windows... Verify with your
environment,

Regards,

Atanas