[Mapguide_users] FDO Provider for ODBC

Scott McFarlane scott at geotropix.com
Fri Jan 12 07:02:16 EST 2007

I'm trying to use the FDO Provider for ODBC to display points on a map that
are stored in lat/lon columns in an SQL Server database. I have been testing
this using about 10,000 points and I'm experiencing extremely slow
performance. First, getting the provider configured on MapGuide Open Source
1.1.0 Release Candidate 1 (RC1) proved to be a challenge, so I got it
working on MG Enterprise. Currently, the problems I have are:

1.	The performance is unacceptable. If I'm lucky the points will
display, and if they do, it's very slow and unstable to use.
2.	I was only able to get the points to display when my base map
coordinate system was lat/lon. The points would not transform from lat/lon
when I use a state plane coordinate system.

I'm interested to know what experiences others have had when trying to
display a large number of points on a map.

Thanks,

Scott