[Mapguide_users] FDO Provider for ODBC

Andrew DeMerchant andrew.demerchant at gemtec.ca
Fri Jan 12 09:14:25 EST 2007

(I'm like Andy, I guess....still not used to having to "reply to all"
with this new list).....here's what I sent to Scott:

Just to double check, you're using the 3.1 FDO? I certainly haven't used
it for 10000 points, but the latest FDO (3.1) works very well with 200
coming from MS Access.....I know that doesn't 100% apply, but it is
hopefully still of use.

Andrew

Scott McFarlane wrote:

> I'm trying to use the FDO Provider for ODBC to display points on a map
> that are stored in lat/lon columns in an SQL Server database. I have
> been testing this using about 10,000 points and I'm experiencing
> extremely slow performance. First, getting the provider configured on
> MapGuide Open Source 1.1.0 Release Candidate 1 (RC1) proved to be a
> challenge, so I got it working on MG Enterprise. Currently, the
> problems I have are:
>

>    1. The performance is unacceptable. If I'm lucky the points will
>       display, and if they do, it's very slow and unstable to use.
>    2. I was only able to get the points to display when my base map
>       coordinate system was lat/lon. The points would not transform
>       from lat/lon when I use a state plane coordinate system.
>

> I'm interested to know what experiences others have had when trying to
> display a large number of points on a map.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Scott

	*Andrew DeMerchant*
*Computer Technologist*