[mapguide-users] Using elevation / height information in mapguide (srtm)

Eduard Witteveen mapguide-users at nergens.org
Mon Jul 2 15:32:12 EDT 2007

Hello list,

I want to display height information inside my gisviewer, and offer the
possibility to click and show the altitude.
I've found data on the internet, the srtm
(http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/) and i try to load this data into
mapguide opensource, without any luck. After extracting the data i have
the following files (which look interresting):

fileextensions:
std, dif, dem, src, num, hgt, jpg, gif

Since the following files are the biggest i started with the files "std,
dif, dem" to put them into mapguide as rasterdata (AFAIK rasterdata
should use GDAL and GDAL supports(http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html)
dem, jpg and gif. The jpg and gif are really not as accurate as i want
and since the dem file is much bigger, i tried to load the dem data.
After loading the data into mapguide nothing is showing:
The feature resource(OSGeo.Gdal) reports with testing: "succesful
connection", but when i want to do a layer preview, i don't see
anything.

CAN someone tell me how to get the dem file loaded into mapguide and
maybe give me a pointer to show the altitude from a certain location?

ps: i did some searches on the internet on srtm, but all i could find
were sample's which used the wms (http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi)
directly

Eduard