[mapguide-users] SDF File Size(Maximum)

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Mon Jun 11 02:27:22 EDT 2007

SDF is using the SQLite database for storage. The SQLite has the
following size constraints:

(10) Are there any known size limits to SQLite databases?

    Internally, SQLite can handle databases up to 2^40 bytes (1
terabyte) in size. But the backend interface to POSIX and Win32 limits
files to 2^31 (2 gigabytes).

    SQLite arbitrarily limits the amount of data in one row to 1
megabyte. There is a single #define in the source code that can be
changed to raise this limit as high as 16 megabytes if desired.

    There is a theoretical limit of about 2^32 (4 billion) rows in a
single table, but there is no way to test this limit without exceeding
the maximum file size, so it is not really an issue. There is also a
theoretical limit of about 2^32 tables and indices, but again it is not
really possible to reach this limit due to the file size constraint.

    The name and "CREATE TABLE" statement for a table must fit entirely
within a 1-megabyte row of the SQLITE_MASTER table. Other than this,
there are no constraints on the length of the name of a table, or on the
number of columns, etc. Indices are similarly unconstrained.

So, if there are no bugs in the implementation, the size should be
limited to 2 GB. You can read more about the SQLite format on:
http://www.sqlite.org/

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S