[mapguide-users] 1.2 RC1 Bugs and "Newbie" Impressions

Eric Bickle ebickle at telus.net
Wed Jun 13 23:41:54 EDT 2007

I'm a relatively new user to MapGuide, and I thought I'd share my
impressions upgrading to v1.2 RC1. I realize some of my thinking might be
flawed, but perhaps it might shed some insight into what a new user will
experience using the software.

Core Bugs / Issues:

* Installing 1.2 RC1 from 1.1. The 1.2 installer couldn't perform an upgrade
- instead, it asked me to uninstall the previous version. I did so, then
installed 1.2. All of my 1.1 settings were lost, including my custom
repository paths pointing to our "data" volume.

* Installing the product always defaults to the "admin" password. This is
very bad from a security standpoint (for example, Microsoft had been blasted
for this in SQL Server about 8+ years ago). The installer should prompt the
user for an administrator password during installation (and be sure not to
log it in the install log). This is an absolute must, IMHO. Initial
installations of *any* product should not be insecure.

* There needs to be a way to reconfigure the "data directories" during
installation. The majority of production server installations separate the
"OS" volume from the "data" volume.

* I'm not sure if this has been resolved, but put me down for a vote in the
"SHP file performance is absolutely critical" camp. I know that there were
some recent problems as the # of files increased.

Web Studio Bugs:

* All of the following bugs were seen in Firefox 2.0.0.4

* Installing the IIS web service extensions did not correctly add
"index.html" to the default document list. As a result, going to
http://localhost/mapguide/mapstudio gave a 404.

* Login screen defaults to the "admin" password. This promotes insecure
implementations.

* Clicking "reference unmanaged data" on the initial page brings up a 404.

* Clicking Tools->Map Agent brings up a "cannot connect to server". It
defaults to 127.0.0.1:8001 rather than the server I specified in the connect
window. Is this correct?

* After getting the "cannot connect to server" error, I clicked X twice to
close the two open documents. Site explorer then showed an animation as
though it was working - however, it clearly was not doing anything.

* I get a popup message saying "ERROR" quite a bit, even though I'm not
doing anything at the time.