[mapguide-users] GCC installation

larry white larz at neomatix.ca
Fri Jun 15 13:21:13 EDT 2007

i have had success compiling gcc v4.0.2 (with subsequent successful
compilation of fdo and mapguide).

the only configure parameter i used was to set the installation
directory using '--prefix=':

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-4.0.2

(if you don't include a prefix then things will be installed in
/usr/local, which i wouldn't recommend in this situation)

then just run 'make' (without install) to ensure everything compiles
properly. if everything works fine, then you can use 'make install'.

once you've installed the new compiler, you will have to set the CC and
CXX environment variables to point to the newly installed version.
if you're using a bash shell, then you'd do the following:

export CC=/usr/local/gcc-4.0.2/bin/gcc
export CXX=/usr/local/gcc-4.0.2/bin/g++

with these variables defined, you should be able to compile fdo and
mapguide.

hope this helps...

-- larry

--