[mapguide-users] How to deal with data served by ArcIMS with WMS

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Mar 1 14:14:30 EST 2007

Personally, I'd call that loose definition ambiguous, especially in a
standard that is supposed to be all about interoperability. :)  It's
very implementation-specific, and way looser than an already somewhat
"subject-to-misinterpretation" spec.  It basically doesn't allow you to
design a generic client app that uses it.  Of course, I haven't looked
at recent WMS specs; maybe they've gotten tighter.

Speaking of specifications; I wasn't specific enough.  In saying that I
didn't think MapGuide supported GetFeatureInfo, I meant on the consumer
side.  I don't think you can bring in a WMS service as a layer, and then
query GetFeatureInfo through the MapGuide web app without custom
programming?

Jason

________________________________

From: Thomas M. Tuerke
Subject: RE: [mapguide-users] How to deal with data served by ArcIMS
with WMS

GetFeatureInfo is not so much ambiguous as it is loosely defined.  It's
purpose is to provide supplemental information on features at a certain
location in the raster.  In short, it's "hey server, what feature is
that at pixel x,y of the map just asked for with these parameters?" (As
such, it's not a substitute for a WFS, which gives you raw, unrendered
features as opposed to a pretty picture.)  It's often used for roll-over
effects such as "tool tips" or some other status display.

[snip]

And yes, MapGuide does support GetFeatureInfo, though it can be
configured away wholesale in the templates, or on a layer-by-layer basis
(that's the purpose of the "queryable" attribute.)  The templates also
allow you to define your own text-based response "format", if you're so
inclined.  If memory serves, text/plain and text/html come for free out
of the box.

- Thomas