[mapguide-users] How to deal with data served by ArcIMS with WMS

Thomas M. Tuerke thomas.m.tuerke at autodesk.com
Thu Mar 1 13:56:28 EST 2007

GetFeatureInfo is not so much ambiguous as it is loosely defined.  It’s purpose is to provide supplemental information on features at a certain location in the raster.  In short, it’s “hey server, what feature is that at pixel x,y of the map just asked for with these parameters?” (As such, it’s not a substitute for a WFS, which gives you raw, unrendered features as opposed to a pretty picture.)  It’s often used for roll-over effects such as “tool tips” or some other status display.

The ambiguity/loosely defined nature comes from what you can get back; the specification doesn’t limit the format to anything specific, leaving it up to the server to advertise the response formats it supports.  A server might offer plain text or HTML with some human-readable text, or some XML that might contain more detailed machine-readable feature information, or anything else… that’s left to the implementation to decide, and to the client to pick.  Not necessarily the height of interoperability, but workable solutions can be made from this.

Key to the understanding is that it usually follows a GetMap request, and is framed in terms of that previous request. In fact, most of the arguments of GetFeatureInfo are exactly the same as GetMap; that helps the server reconstruct the “image” (figuratively, if not literally) to determine what part of the map you’re requesting feature info for: the X,Y are, after all, expressed in pixel units, not geospatial coordinates.

And yes, MapGuide does support GetFeatureInfo, though it can be configured away wholesale in the templates, or on a layer-by-layer basis (that’s the purpose of the “queryable” attribute.)  The templates also allow you to define your own text-based response “format”, if you’re so inclined.  If memory serves, text/plain and text/html come for free out of the box.

- Thomas

  _____