[mapguide-users] How to get symbol out of library

Gunter Becker gunter.becker at CSOGIS.DE
Tue Mar 6 03:47:29 EST 2007

Hi Jackie,

I've realized that the symbols are in a n-sheet dwf and because of the
dwf-format I wonder what's the best way for a MapGuide OpenSource user to
get symbols in a SymbolLibrary without MapGuide Studio from Autodesk. Is
there any way to do it?

To get the Symbol for my Html-PrintLayout I find out that I can work with
the MappingService (only for dfw). With the 'GenerateLegendImage'-method I'm
able to generate images for a specific LayerDefinition. But therefor I have
to load a Point-FeatureSource first and create a layer with a point style
that coresspond with the symbol I want to display in my PrintLayout.
Obviously it's not a very user-friendly way to go and there are some
limitations on this methode (no stretching). I don't know if this is really
the solution for my application.

I also had a short look at the DWF Toolkit but did not see any method to
save images back to disk. So I think only import of new symbols is allowed.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Every propsal is welcome.

Gunter