[mapguide-users] Good Development Environment for MGOS

Joel Carranza jec at gatekeeper.com
Wed Mar 7 16:29:08 EST 2007

The wrapper I wrote is nothing special. It simply (crudely) wraps around
the various MGOS objects , delegating to the underlying object, while
handling the exceptions and providing names which adhere to convention.
If it becomes something which could be used in a production environment,
I can see about making it public, but it definitely isn't there yet.
However, the best way to approach this problem is not a wrapper library,
but rather another implementation of the java native interface
altogether. Such an interface is still a JNI library, and still would
link to the "30 so files needed". But, i suspect that SWIG (the toolkit
which generates this binding automatically) could be configured to
provide a interface which better adheres to java standard. I don't know
for sure. It's not something I'm familiar with, nor is it
(unfortunately) something I can afford to invest any time in right now.

Another thing which would be really nice:
A jar containing the java source files with javadocs embedded would
greatly facilitate development within Eclipse (or other java IDE).

Joel