[mapguide-users] Java enhancements (Was: Good Development Environment for MGOS)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Mar 7 21:27:28 EST 2007

Joel wrote:

--------
But, I suspect that SWIG (the toolkit which generates this binding automatically) could be configured to provide a interface which better adheres to java standard.
--------

There's been some discussion of this on the -internals list (prompted by your initial post).

http://www.nabble.com/RE%3A-RE%3A--mapguide-users-GoodDevelopment-Environment-for-MGOS-p9364766s16610.html <http://www.nabble.com/RE%3A-RE%3A--mapguide-users-GoodDevelopment-Environment-for-MGOS-p9364766s16610.html>

It looks like Bob has not seen a huge interest in Java either (I'm assuming either through Autodesk or watching these forums).  However, I would really like to see MapGuide support Java as well as it does PHP or .Net.  It would be great if we could get enough interest (volunteers) to work on this.  It's an area where we have the opportunity to be both cross-platform, and BETTER than other solutions.

--------
A jar containing the java source files with javadocs embedded would greatly facilitate development within Eclipse (or other java IDE).

--------

Hmm.  I think that all of these should probably be entered as an enhancement request at http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ <http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/>  so that we don't loose track of them.

Jason