[mapguide-users] Java enhancements (Was: Good Development Environment for MGOS)

Joel Carranza jec at gatekeeper.com
Thu Mar 8 13:26:36 EST 2007

Jason,

I put my requests into the ticket tracking system. Glad to see that this
is up and running again, although I would mention to whomever maintains
it that the links on the "New Ticket"  page are all broken.

For us, quality java support in MGOS is critical. Luckily, the support
for java is definately there, it just needs a little polish :)  I don't
know how hard it is to customize things in SWIG, but I think the real
issue here is what to do with the existing API. Try to make it backward
compatible (don't see how that could happen), create a new API? Maintain
two APIs?

A couple of better-informed design decisions need to be made on how the
Java API should look, and these decisions should be done quickly, so
that java developers can know what to expect.

I'm definately available for input/feedback, but at this moment, I don't
have the time available for getting my hands dirty with SWIG. I could
probably write some perl code to rewrite the java source faster than I
could make one change in SWIG :)

Joel