[mapguide-users] Java enhancements

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Mar 8 14:59:38 EST 2007

Hi Joel,

We're going to be putting SWIG enhancements for Java in as one of our Google Summer of Code project ideas.  If it gets accepted, your input will really be appreciated:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/GoogleSoC2007 <http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/GoogleSoC2007>

If there are any students lurking on this list with nothing to do this summer, I fully expect all of you to apply :)

Thanks for letting me know about the broken links.  They should be working now.  Between development and launch we had a change in the canonical URL for that site, and they got missed.

You said:  "A couple of better-informed design decisions need to be made on how the Java API should look, and these decisions should be done quickly, so that java developers can know what to expect."

Is this apart from what you put into the ticket?  Please add any additional info to the ticket.

If breaking backwards compatibility at this point is necessary to make a more sane Java environment, I personally wouldn't be entirely opposed to it, but I'd really want to be sure that it is necessary first.

Thanks,
Jason