[mapguide-users] Is there any way to conver dwg files to sdf?

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Wed Mar 14 23:30:26 EDT 2007

Autodesk Studio is the designed way to load DWG data into MapGuide, but you
have obviously run into some DETE problems.  There are several threads on
this topic on the Autodesk discussion groups since Studio is an Autodesk
commercial product and is not part of this open source project.  Try these
threads:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5356816
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5454893

Other than that, you can buy and use Safe Software FME to convert DWG to
Shape or SDF3 and then load those through Studio.  This works great.

You can download the older SDF Loader utility from here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2931221&lin
kID=2733703 and generate SDF2 files from your DWG's as long as they are 2002
or earlier.  Then you can load those SDF files through Studio at which time
they will be converted to the newer version.  Note that this method would
have some major limitations, mostly that SDF2 only supports Geometry, Key,
Name and URL fields rather than unlimited fields like SDF3.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com