[mapguide-users] Bypassing initial view at startup

Nichols, Mark A. markn at spicergroup.com
Fri Mar 23 00:44:17 EDT 2007

Interesting, we're working on the same problem.  I have found an answer.  I hope it helps you.  Try these steps.

1.  In MapGuide Studio, go to your web layout.  There is an area "URL for home task displayed in the Task Pane".  Change this to a new page.  In my case, I changed this to a page called ../gt/initial.php.

2.  Create your page initial.php.
3.  Create a dummy page to set your variables in.  In my case, I'm getting my x and y in a seperate PHP program.  So I can set them as session variables and then retreive them in my initial.php page.

initial.php (the default page of the task pane)
-------------------------------
<?php
session_start();
$xLocation=$_SESSION["X"];;
$yLocation=$_SESSION["Y"];
$mapScale=$_SESSION["mapScale"];
if ($xLocation=="")
{
 echo "No X,Y specified, continue with initial view.";
}
else
{
?>

<script language="javascript">
 window.setTimeout("parent.parent.mapFrame.ZoomToView(<?php echo $xLocation; ?>, <?php echo $yLocation; ?>, <?php echo $mapScale; ?>, true)", 2000);
</script>
<?php
}
?>

setvar.php (some other page where I'm setting variables for the map to use)
-------------------------------
<?php
session_start();
session_register("X");
session_register("Y");
session_register("mapScale");
$_SESSION["X"]=656411;
$_SESSION["Y"]=321285;
$_SESSION["mapScale"]=15000;
?>

So the map opens, it starts to load with the initial zoom, but then the right frame quickly redirects it to the new coordinates.  I had to have the window.setTimeout to give the page a little delay, otherwise the script wouldn't work.

It's not the best logic, but it works.  Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Mark Nichols