[mapguide-users] Newbie's learning curve - database to get startedwith?

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Mar 28 11:34:15 EDT 2007

> So far, as I have seen, Postgis would be my choice, but there isn't
PostgisFDO so far, as I have seen (or am I wrong?).

You're not wrong.  There's one in development (it's really close now),
but not ready yet.

http://svn.refractions.net/fdopostgis/

However, you can use the OGR provider to interact with a PostGIS
database in the meantime.  You can download it here:

http://download.osgeo.org/fdo/3.2.0/

The current version is read-only, but I think I saw some commits to
trunk that add insert/update/delete support.

I would really suggest that you stay away from MySQL.  It only supports
envelope queries, so you can't do things like select polygons.

The nice thing is that no matter which database you choose, you can
always migrate later using fdo2fdo :)

Jason