[mapguide-users] MG 1.1 with Opera?

James Card James.Card at calcad.com
Wed Nov 28 19:45:14 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:03:11 -0800, uXuf <yousuf.hassan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anybody tried running the ajax map viewer with Opera? It wouldn't at
> least run at my end. Is anybody else experiencing this with Opera? I
> know all the talk about the market share thing, but just wanted to
> tip-off people.

Opera almost works. If you switch Opera to user-mode (SHIFT+G) the map and
legend images will load, then switch back (SHIFT+G again) and the map
displays properly. Map controls all seem to work _if_ you switch to
user-made and back again to force the map refresh after each zoom or pan
or other operation. This suggests to me that some, probably minor,
modification in the event-handling code would have Opera working.

The other big difference is that Opera disables JavaScript access to
right-click events by default (until the user enables the "Allow script to
receive right clicks" option in their preferences) so the context-menu
actions (such as buffer and measure) in MapGuide won't be accessible. The
workaround to this problem is to make sure that all those functions are
also available on the toolbar or in the task pane when setting up the
layout.

Of course, with the change to the Fusion interface in MapGuide Open Source
2.0 there may be less incentive for someone to make the current AJAX
viewer work with Opera.

--
James Card
209-578-5580