[mapguide-users] Best method to use dwg files

Marty Coonrod mcoonrod at ahlc-inc.com
Wed Oct 31 13:25:21 EDT 2007

Andy, Thanks for the reply and please excuse my ignorance in this area.
The maps are 15 deg tile maps that cover 4 adjoining states. These were then
further broke out into a "master grid" to fit the 3000' x 2000' map size.
Then information was drafted on these. I can't use the originals because
when errors were found or a subdivision that was missing was added they were
not placed on their own layer. This is not quite the way I would have done
things but we work with what we have.
There is a layering standard but as with most major projects there will be
some clean up. The layer count is 191 layers but each map has some temp
layers that will need to be purged. Most of the layers have only one type of
information lines, blocks, text, etc. but there are a couple that mix lines
and blocks and I am guessing I may want to change that. All of the blocks
have some type of attribute information or another that would be nice to be
able to retrive.
I have a program I developed that will extract/inject all the attribute
information to/from a SQL Server database.
I have recieved my Mapguide CD from Autodesk and installed Mapguide
Enterprise 2008 Server and Studio trials and went through the exercises that
were provided in the "Getting Started Guide". That is the extent of my
training but I understand the concept somewhat. This is something I am doing
on my own so its not company funded yet so I plan to switch to the open
source server. I just used the Autodesk version for the exercises because a
couple things did'nt work without it. Hopefully I can at least get them to
spring for the studio portion if that is sold seperately.

After all that rambling on what I am looking for is just some advice as how
to aproach it so I don't just make a huge mess and have to start over again
and again.

Thanks,
Marty