[mapguide-users] OSS application to serve file based images

Roger Diercks rdiercks at k3county.net
Thu Apr 10 09:27:48 EDT 2008

My organization has been testing using Mapserver as a WMS server to
serve up imagery. So far the results have been very encouraging, but we
want to do more testing before deploying this solution in a production
environment. You'll most likely have to optimize your imagery to obtain
maximum performance, which was easily done using the GDAL utilities
available in FWTools. There are also some considerations in how you set
up your map file that you'll need keep in mind, but overall I didn't
find it to be all that difficult once I read some of the documentation.
I've included some links below that were very helpful to me in getting
Mapserver set up to serve our imagery.

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/optimizeraster

Roger Diercks