[mapguide-users] Precision when selecting polygons

Krunoslav a_krunoslav at gmx.net
Wed Apr 16 14:20:54 EDT 2008

Dave Wilson-3 wrote:

> MySQL only does Envelope operations.
>
> For example when selecting MapGuide might do an Intersect spatial
> operation; however, MySQL (at least version 5 and earlier) only does
> Envelope Intersects so you won't always get the results you expect
> depending on how the polygons sit next to each other.
>
> This is a known issue with MySQL. I'm not sure if they have resolved this
> in later versions.

Thank you for your answer. Since I have all data in mysql tables, I created
new Geometry column, converted my SHP to mysql with shp2mysql tool, so I
have everything in same table.

It seemed perfect, but obviously it won't work this way.

Since I have to use styling which is related to property in one column, I
also tried to use SHP <-> MySQL join, without geometry data in mysql. I can
get properties from mysql table, but layer isn't themed, I don't know why,
all parcels are the same color, even if mapguide studio can "pull"
properties from the table.

Same procedure works fine when everything (converted SHP) is in mysql, but
there is problem as mentioned above.

So, is there any solution for this or should I give up from using mysql?

Anyway, before starting on a project:
I have few shp files and data tables in Excel (which I can easely convert to
mysql tables). What would you recommend for next things to work?

1. Properly selecting polygons
2. Searching (regarding to some property from table)
3. Themes (also regarding to one column in table).

What database to use and how to join  this together?

Sorry for my bad english and thank you in advance.