[mapguide-users] Fusion + Oracle datasource problem

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 11:25:37 EDT 2008

We are going to be looking specifically at this issue of startup time
in the next few weeks, it would be very useful to be able to have you
test and provide feedback on how much improvement we are able to make.

The current method of initialization enumerates the full schema of all
the layers, which in the case of Oracle is quite slow.  We feel that
this full schema initialization can be deferred and done
asynchronously with the initialization so that the application and
initial state can come up much more quickly.

This development will likely happen in a separate SVN branch (which we
will call a sandbox) so if you are able to set up the SVN version of
Fusion to work with your mapguide, it will be pretty simple to grab
the new code and try it out.  We will integrate the changes back into
the trunk version once we are satisfied with the improvements and
stability of the code.

There will likely be an interim release of fusion very soon to
consolidate the OpenLayers 2.6 changes that everyone seems to want,
followed by a release in the fall that will contain a number of
performance enhancements (including the above) that may be a bit more
disruptive.

Cheers

Paul