[mapguide-users] Question on MapStudio OS (for Kenneth)

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Fri Feb 15 07:17:20 EST 2008

Hi Kenneth,

I'm working on a managed server component leaning on MapGuide Enterprise
2008. For my previous MG-related projects I've been using native
MapGuideDotNetApi.dll wrapper to access server in first place. Since it's
far from perfect (had to parse resource XML by hand, etc.) I decided to
write the wrapper all over again, but then noticed that MapStudio OS already
implements such functionality in more ".NET-oriented" :-) fashion.

I'm planning to use it for resource access only, and have few questions
about it... Firstly, I noticed that MapStudio OS references
MapGuideNativeAPI.dll. Is this native MGOS .NET wrapper? I'm not sure, since
it differs a bit when compared to Autodesk's MapGuideDotNetApi.dll (MGE 2008
was built on MGOS 1.2.0). Where does MapGuideNativeAPI.dll come from? MGOS?

Secondly, I'm still intending to use native MGE .NET wrapper library
MapGuideDotNetApi.dll. Is it possible to mix the two, meaning - is it
possible to reference both native MGE MapGuideDotNetApi.dll and your
MapGuideAPI.dll for managed resource access? It would be great to lean
overall MG access only on MapStudio OS' MapGuideNativeAPI.dll and
MapGuideAPI.dll, but I have to be very cautious since Autodesk's MGE
implementation may differ a bit and introduce possible compatibility issues.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic