[mapguide-users] Zooming / Moving to a point on the map using the Server Side API

Carl Jokl carl.jokl at keynetix.com
Tue Jun 24 09:34:56 EDT 2008

I wanted to ask about the process which you have to go through in order to
use the MapGuide server side API to move the map position and zoom.

The simple functionality seems to exist on the client side via the
JavaScript libraries to move the map to a given x, y, position via just a
just a function call. Inspite of my digging around though I can't find any
such functionality for the Server side API though I might not be looking in
the right place.

It has been suggested that it might require loading, modifying and saving
XML definitions to achieve this (though this seems like a complicated way of
doing things). Does anyone have an example of moving / zooming the map from
the Server API?

I would not have thought it would be rocket science. For larger, more
intricate and complex mapping systems such as the one we are working on it
would be expected the bulk of the business logic would exist on the server
in the form of libraries there and so doing as much as possible on the
server is desirable. A the end of the day the JavaScript function
"ZoomToView" I would expect must call something on the server.