[mapguide-users] Load balancing and RFC3

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:42:14 EDT 2008

> Are you using tiled maps?

No.

>I'm not sure it will work:
>http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc42

>"This RFC removes existing functionality. However, site and support servers were difficult to configure and it is unlikely that this >functionality is currently in use. It will still be possible to turn off unnecessary services by directly editing serverconfig.ini."

If I understand correctly, the idea is to drop the division between
support servers and site servers (the former ones doing some services
for the latter ones) and to use load balancing as in RFC3, i.e. with
multiple site servers, each one with its clients.
In RFC42 it is written correctly that this will increase robustness
since with support servers if one server fails the same does the
entire site since some services are no more available (and the
failures are quite common in my tests...).
On the contrary with load balancing as in RFC3 the other site servers
can continue to serve even if one of them encounters a problem.

It seems that RFC3 have been implemented in 1.2, because in RFC3 it is
written "Proposed milestone: 1.2 and Implementation Status:
completed".
And round robin seems to work, but there is some problem with sessions.

It is a pity, since multiple servers may be useful to increase
robustness (that is quite poor) and performance (that is extremely
poor w.r.t. MapGuide 6.5). Probably I should move to MapGuide OS
2.x...

Regards,

Gabriele