[mapguide-users] Spatial Data Formats Best Practice

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Wed Jun 25 17:44:18 EDT 2008

GISDOTNET skrev:
> Kenneth,
>
> That's what I don't understand. The features are in an ESRI personal
> geodatabase when I use OGR and the tables as they are seen don't have other
> geometry types e.g. in ESRI you can't have mixed geometries in a
> featureclass/table. I thought that the OGR was having trouble reading the
> geometry type which is why I converted the personal geodatabase to PostGIS.
> The conversion went without problem; however, it still sees each table as
> having all geometries which I know is not the case.

Yes, I consider it a bug in the OGR/PostGIS provider, but I can live
with it, so I have not reported it.
I probably should though.

> I just downloaded Maestro and was able to set the proper geometry to
> display, but there isn't a preview in Maestro? So I saved the layer and
> opened Autodesk MapGuide Studio 2008 and noticed that the layer showed an
> error on the "Feature Class" dropdown. It appears that Maestro sees the
> feature class differently than MapGuide Studio (MapGuide Studio<Feature
> class=FdoPostGIS:public~taxparcel> and
> Maestro<Schema=FdoPostGIS:public-x7e-taxparcel>. Not sure why or what this
> means, but I can't jump between the two environments.

Ok, so MapGuide Studio and Maestro encodes the two names differently.
Thats very very strange.
You can still use Maestro, but its a bit difficult then, because you
have to manually edit the xml
for the layer, after saving it with Maestro.
In Maestro, modify the layer as desired, then click save, then close.
Now right click the layer on the right, and select "Edit as Xml".
Find the place with the wrong schema, and correct it.
Click save then close.

You may want to view the xml before editing it in Maestro, so you know
what to change it back to.

> In which environment does the "Preview" button that you mentioned reside?

Both environments have the preview. In both, it is a button in the
toolbar above the feature source.
> Thanks again.
>
> Aaron

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S