[mapguide-users] Silverlight/Moonlight Viewer

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 04:43:53 EDT 2008

So if your talking about a vector based viewer, you could hitch onto
the DWF support in the mapguide server.

I am, however, sceptical if there is much to be gained there
performance wise using GDI+ coz anything which is going
to really benefit from that sort of acceleration is going to require a
lot of vector data to be transferred down to the client
and then you are going to need to support all the stylisation options
for a mapguide layer plus all the interactions
between layers for labelling etc.

having everything as vectors in mapguide 6.5 was quite useful and
allowed for some funky tricks...

so to take a step back, what are the things your're looking to improve on?

personally i think there's some pretty easy http tweaks to the
mapguide server which would really,
really boost performance, like setting cache headers (last modified,
cache expiry) for tiles allowing a plain
old proxy server to serve tiles without any mapguide server overhead

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S
<ks at geograf.dk> wrote:
> Silverlight uses GDI+, which also supports hardware acceleration.
> I would prefer Silverlight over Java because it intergrates better with the
> html DOM (IMO).
>
> As for codebase, the current viewers are based on Javascript, and they are
> limited to
> manipulating pre-rendered images.
>
> The DWF viewer is some of it, but it is still ActiveX based.
> I suppose one could make plugins for all browsers, but it still difficult
> to persuade regular web users to install it.
>
> Since Silverlight/Moonlight is more likely to be installed already,
> and backed by Microsoft, it will probably be easier.
>
> Flash is another option, but it is terribly hard to work with (IMO).
>
> Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S
>

> Carl Jokl skrev:
>
> I think that there could potentially be a number of alternatives to using an
> Active X based viewer. I could see potential also for both Flash or Java to
> create a viewer too. One problem with the Active X viewer in relation to the
> clients of the company I work for is the security / administrative problem
> for our clients. Organisations internet security policies could interfere
> with deployment of an Active X control. I would think though that the same
> issue would apply to a Java based viewer too. Silverlight might work better
> in this regard.
>
> One of the reasons I find the Java option interesting is the availability of
> JOGL essentially allowing a Applet or Web Start application to be able to
> take advantage of Hardware accelerated graphics. I don't know if any
> alternative viewers have been worked on. If much of MapGuide is open source
> would that include the viewer? If so it might be possible to start from the
> existing viewer source code and port it to another platform.
>

> Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S wrote:
>

> Has anyone started or is considering starting development of a viewer in
> Silverlight/Moonlight?
>
> Such a viewer should be able to achieve performance that is comparable
> to the MapGuide 6.5 viewer,
> without the need for an ActiveX plugin.

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com (My Blog)