[mapguide-users] Silverlight/Moonlight Viewer

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Jun 26 11:14:09 EDT 2008

I've heard a few rumours that the DWF viewer will deprecated in future
releases.  A Silverlight-based viewer would be a great replacement for
this...

What kind of effort would be required to then bundle that as a WPF
desktop API/viewer (still bound by HTTP, or optionally direct server
connection over a LAN)?

I guess you could probably even repackage MapGuide + Maestro + this
control as a desktop GIS SDK, though I'm not sure that the whole
repository thing makes sense on a desktop level, and any kind of
commercial redistribution would kick in the whole DBXML dual license
thing.

As an aside, I don't think that the goal should be to create a duplicate
of the DWF viewer; something more modular/configurable would be nice.
You can do some really awesome stuff with Silverlight...

Jason