[mapguide-users] Permissions Model, restricting layers and error logging

James Card James.Card at calcad.com
Thu May 29 19:20:31 EDT 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 15:40:31 -0700, Dave Wilson <dave.wilson at autodesk.com>
wrote:

> Has anyone desired such functionality or alternately built maps on the
> fly to add layers based on what their uses have rights to?

Yes, and yes.

Ideally the authoring environment would allow me to set user-level and/or
group-level permissions on any object in the repository and have those
permissions apply seamlessly to all child objects. Another feature that
some of our clients request is integration with Active Directory
authentication mechanisms. We've built this for our MapGuide 6.5 clients,
but it would be great to see this capability available for MapGuide
Enterprise or MapGuide OS out of the box.

Permissions violations (and other errors) should always be reported in the
authoring environment but never in the user client. The only error message
I'd ever want to be reported client-side is a very generic one like "Some
elements of this page did not load properly. You can notify the server
administrator at mapmaster at my.domain."; and that should be optional so
that the application could be configured to NEVER display error reports of
any kind client-side. Then the administrator can use the authoring tools
and server logs to discover the specifics of the error.

--
James Card
California CAD Solutions, Inc.