[mapguide-users] Installing MGOS 2.0 on Windows Server 2008withIIS7

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Nov 13 14:21:58 EST 2008

I haven't seen any problems so far (only running 8 hours or so), but I did take the precaution of setting the app pool's advanced properties as follows:

Process Model->Idle Time-out (Minutes):  0
Recycling->Disable Overlapped Recycle: True

A couple other notes on installation:

- If you are modifying PHP.INI, SERVERCONFIG.INI, etc, make sure to be logged in as a user with Admin rights, and use Notepad or another app running as Administrator.  Server 2008 and Vista use file virtualization and creates per-user copies of files edited under Program Files.  This works great when you're running the service as yourself, but the Local System account never sees these changes.  I'm not sure what effect this will have on other files located in the www tree, but I think it's probably not good.  I wasted at least an hour trying to figure out why changes to the INI files weren't taking effect; when MgServer ran as me and not as Local System I went down the wrong path of thinking it was permission issues.

- You may need to add a MIME type for .json->application/json to IIS in order for Fusion to work.  I didn't test before doing this.

I'm going to try to find time to update the wiki with images and these notes...

More information on file virtualization (for those who care) here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc138019.aspx

http://tinyurl.com/6yfc5c

http://www.randyrants.com/2007/02/vista_tip_virtu.html

Jason