[mapguide-users] dllhost high CPU - proj.dll and MgGeometry.dll are the problems...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 17 14:34:00 EDT 2008

Andrew DeMerchant wrote:
> Sometimes, if I really do a lot of playing around on some of my sites
> (lots of zooming, panning, printing, etc) I get some
> problems....dllhost.exe starts taking more and more CPU %. After a few
> minutes, it gets up to 100%. If I kill the process, all's well.
>
> After looking at it with Sysinternals Process Explorer, it seems that
> the culprits are actually proj.dll and MgGeometry.dll. Now, I have no
> idea what this means, but here's what Process Explorer has to say about it:
>
> the CSwitch Deta number is really high - 1000-4000
> The 2 threads at fault are:
> proj.dl!dmstor+0x3a17

Andrew,

For reference, the proj.dll dmstor() function converts angular values
expressed as a DMS string into radians in numeric form.  In use from mapguide
I believe it would only be used when doing pj_init() to convert a coordinate
system description in string format to an internal coordinate system
description.

I imagine there is some sort of systematic problem at a high level with
left over requests continuing to be processed after they are no longer
needed.  I am doubtful that dmstor itself is at fault.

Best regards,