[mapguide-users] RE: MapGuide Open Source Web Studio

Nelson Soto NSoto at plotplans.com
Mon Oct 20 12:42:51 EDT 2008

The ArcSDE stuff is on ESRI's (the devil) development network, so while
it's not a secret that it isn't cheap, it's no where near as expensive
as the production stuff.

I'm trying to assess the best alternative for our software company and
right now unfortunately ESRI is still in the running just because some
of our clients are locked into ArcSDE and MapServer doesn't handle UTF
well enough to support a default install of ArcSDE for MSSQL.

I came across MapGuide OS on accident and was initially impressed with
the little demo's they show. Unfortunately, it seems it may be slightly
incomplete when compared (perhaps unfairly?) to MapServer. I was
entertaining the thought of MapGuide Enterprise, money not being the
full issue here, but Autodesk's Subscription-Only policy with this piece
of software will not bode well with any of the clients, I don't think.
Otherwise, it may have been a serious contender...

So, I am trying to explore MapGuide OS's capabilites, but I don't think
at this stage I'm willing to shell out money just to get a demo up and
running. A shame..

I will submit any bugs I encounter with that link; thank you. I will try
to just dance around the bugs I find and hopefully put something
together. Perhaps I'll explore your suggestion of using the API to
upload the files into the repository, but this won't fly at all with our
end-users as ideally they would be able to make simple additions
themselves and thus may be the core reason we pass on MapGuide. Perhaps
it will mature with the time also, I know it's a newer type project.

Thanks