[mapguide-users] SVN Fusion broken now...

Andrew DeMerchant andrew.demerchant at gemtec.ca
Mon Sep 8 14:21:31 EDT 2008

Ya, I already posted to the ticket about that - just after I'd sent this
email....I have no clue how to patch it myself - it's a complex fix,
spanning over 2 different tickets. My fingers are crossed....

Perfection isn't a realistic goal, no - but something that's deployable
/ usable would be pretty realistic. I'm not sure that it's at that point
yet - for my projects, it's not...though I'm really really close to
finally getting it ready (just this bug left, mainly). Out of the box,
it just had too many bugs for my applications. No question that the
updates in the works will improve performance - for me though, speed is
secondary to functionality. Anyway, just my $0.02...Fusion rocks though
- don't get me wrong! It's a great addition to MGOS!

Andrew

Jason Birch wrote:

> I'd suggest asking in the ticket or on the Fusion mailing lists
> whether Mike is willing to back-port the fix  for #113 to the 1.1
> branch.   Otherwise, you can apply it to your local version; SVN will
> not overwrite these changes when you update.
>
> At this point in Fusion's development, I personally don't think that
> perfection is a reasonable goal.  There are neither enough
> eyes---people running from SVN or testing release candidates---to
> catch all of the problems, nor enough developers to fix them all.  As
> well, the developers working on Fusion have their own scratches to
> itch, and are more likely to put time into these than issues that are
> not affecting them directly.
>
> In general though, I feel that the changes that are being made have a
> positive effect on the project.  JX updates result in a 100Kb
> reduction in compressed JS.  The widget refactoring makes it easier to
> build Fusion applications.  These are important both for existing
> users, and also to attract new users/developers to the project.
>
> Jason
>
> *From:* Andrew DeMerchant
> *Subject:* Re: [mapguide-users] SVN Fusion broken now...
>
> Hmm - well that does make it work, but that main bug fix I was looking
> for (ticket 113) doesn't appear to be in the 1.1 branch...
>
> I've got to say that to me (a user) it seems a bit odd that people
> would be spending so much time on so many large changes to Fusion,
> while we don't even have a released Fusion that works 100% (the
> version that came with MGOS is not deployable as is, at least not for
> me). I'd be focusing on getting it to 100% first, and THEN tweaking -
> but that's just me!

	*Andrew DeMerchant*
*Computer Technologist*
ph.1-877-2GEMTEC x.163