[mapguide-users] Fusion Templates for FF3

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:54:30 EDT 2008

I can't speak for Autodesk, but in general there is always a delay
between an Open Source project and commercial products based on that
project.  A commercial product typically goes through a lengthy
release cycle that involves rigorous testing, documentation,
marketing, and packaging.  In my experience, a commercial product will
be based on a stable version of an Open Source project followed by
6-12 months of release cycle.  For this reason, the commercial product
will be at least 6-12 months behind the Open Source project (Apple's
Safari web browser is significantly behind it's Open Source WebKit
project for instance).

Commercial companies, at least ones that are publicly traded, are
legally prevented from talking about future versions of their
software.  So while you might hear that a company has a road map for a
particular product, it will always be presented in such a way as to
not promise any particular feature for any particular release.

The best place to get information about what is coming in MapGuide
Open Source is on the mapguide-dev list, as this is where new features
are discussed among developers and in some cases voted on by the
project steering committee.  MapGuide Open Source has a reasonably
rigorous RFC (request for comment) process where major changes are
documented for all to see.

So, for instance, the adoption of CSMap (its no longer commercial) is
discussed here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc55

You will note that it is proposed to be included in the 2.1 release.
It is difficult, however, with an Open Source project to commit to a
specific release date because the project is often in a state of flux
and a release requires some stability in the code base.  But in
general, the MapGuide Open Source steering committee tries for a
couple of releases per year.

I hope this helps clarify where things are at.