[mapguide-users] Fusion and Themed Layers - usability

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Apr 3 12:05:40 EDT 2009

Hi Dennis,

It would be really useful if you could create "fake" layer definitions / map definition / fusion layout against Sheboygan that exhibit the theming problem and attach it to a Trac ticket as an .mgp.

Like any open source software, it's only as good as the use cases that have been thrown at it so far.  If your use is considerably different than others, you'll likely run into problems that haven't been encountered yet.  If we can work to fix these problems then we all benefit.

I have been trying to move away from everything-in-one-map to allowing users to drop down "themes" from the map picker widget, so haven't come even close to the number of groups/layers you're using yet.  If you run Fiddler while accessing that map (you have to use your PC name instead of localhost) can you identify whether there is a problem in one of the calls or if this is instead a problem in the JS rendering?  Does it not work in both IE and Firefox?

My main production implementation is going to launch at Fusion 1.1.1, but I would personally recommend that new implementations use Fusion 2 on MapGuide 2.1.  It's considerably faster.  However, it's also undergone open heart surgery, so there may still be some issues that need to be worked out there too.

Jason