[mapguide-users] Raster re-projection pretest

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Tue Apr 7 18:40:41 EDT 2009

I wanted to provide some positive feedback to the group about a particular
feature that I've been looking forward to.  I just installed the release
version of MapGuide Enterprise 2010.  It includes some features not in the
current release of MGOS, but those features will be in the upcoming release
(2.1) which is due next week.  RFC 51
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc51) provides support for
raster re-projection.  Meaning, you can leave rasters images in their native
coordinate system and it will re-project them to the map coordinate system
on the fly.  I just quickly tested it with a couple of 100 MB TIF's that are
in UTM while my map was in a State Plane coordinate system.  It worked.  It
wasn't very fast, but it worked.  I then converted the images to my
preferred format of ECW (both about 70 MB) and it was screaming fast with
the re-projection.  I'm talking less than a second response time.  Holy cow.
And, it correctly saw the null background values and ignored them so the
resulting mosaic of the two images looked great.  I'm impressed.  Hats off
to the developers for this feature.

(quick disclaimer: this test was done with the Autodesk Raster Provider.  I
assume it will work as well with the GDAL Raster Provider)

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
www.SpatialGIS.com