[mapguide-users] MapGuide, Mapserver and Geoserver

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Mon Aug 24 03:33:24 EDT 2009

MapGuide serves the same purpose as MapServer, not sure about Geoserver.
MapGuide uses FDO to access a (spatial) datastore (eg. database),
and renders maps (eg. as a PNG image).

MapGuide is also a service that can expose WMS and WFS.

MapGuide comes bundles with two viewers,
one called Flexible weblayout or Fusion viewer
and one called Basic weblayout or AJAX viewer.

Fusion is based on OpenLayers, and you can use the official OpenLayers
viewer "as-is", if you want to.

MapGuide can run on both IIS and Apache, with a choice of PHP, .Net or JSP
for server programming language.

With MapGuide, you can use MapGuide Maestro to set up your map and tools,
without writing any code (point and click).
You can then build extra functions, which require coding.

You can browse the "Getting started" guide here to get a rough idea of
the process:
http://mapguide.osgeo.org/2.0/documentation.html

There is an incomplete Maestro guide here (with screenshots):
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/maestro/UserGuide

I don't know how much coding is involved in setting up a site with other
servers
than MapGuide.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S