[mapguide-users] Should I give up?

Neil_w nwilson at sec-landmgt.com
Mon Dec 7 16:20:38 EST 2009

I appreciate the encouragement but I have spent lots of time researching.
That is why I am getting discouraged. For all the time I have invested I
have made little progress. Without a step by step instuction guide for
creating maps it is more a trial and error process to get anywhere, with
long diversions to help forums seeking guidance when things don't wok.

I looked at the Mapguide guide for developers link you posted. Without
delving into it in detail it appears to be oriented to developing maps using
programming, which I am not able to do. I am limited to Maestro or some
other authoring software that does not require programming. That is why I
was interested in Fusion but I don't yet understand whether it would help me
author maps without programming. From one post it appeared that it could
load DWG files without converting them. If I have to go through a conversion
process to load a every DWG then Mapguide is probably not a good solution
for us and I won't want to put a lot of time into it. Again I need guidance
on this.

As I mentioned, I was able to connect to a couple of WMS services but I
could not figure out how to display any layers from them. Saving the
resource resulted in errors. I didn't know what they mean which lead to
another excursion to the forum. When I try to create a layer from the
connected WMS, there is no geometry for them available, so nothing displays.

We really could use a step by step guide for building maps, not just a
sample map with no guide on what the various components are. It took me a
while to figure out what the .ASP, .JSP. and .php layouts were. I had to
figure out on my own how to use a Flexible layout and add a query widget.
Again, no instruction whatsoever.

If anyone can direct me to some step by step guides or tutorials it might
get me back in the saddle.