[mapguide-users] MG 2.1 Beta and WMS / FDO Exception

Crispin_at_1Spatial crispin.hoult at 1spatial.com
Fri Dec 11 03:20:58 EST 2009

Update.

WMS is tricky but with an appropriate "config" file and coordinate system
overrides in place we have MapGuide 2.1 test instances reading from ArcGIS
(9.2 I think), Smallworld and MapServer WMS servers.

I *guess* that the "Invalid format for the EXCEPTION parameter" issue that
MG(FDO) throws is with the way that MG(FDO) forms the WMS URL - the client
(MG) should check the service capabilities for what types of exception are
supported - eg XML, TXT and request appropriately.  Otherwise some request
will fail but the exception type requested is not supported by the server.
For example, the service that gave me issues had this in the capabilities
(though so did the valid ones!):

		<Exception>
			<Format>application/vnd.ogc.se_xml</Format>
			<Format>application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage</Format>
			<Format>application/vnd.ogc.se_blank</Format>
		</Exception>

I'm no reader of OGC/WMS documentation though and don't have fiddler set-up
to see the request that was being passed.  That would be a help.

Finally, setting a coordinate override on the WMS but then removing the
coordinate system from the .MapDefinition helped in at least one case
bizzarely.

We get WMS integration requests for about 25% of our installations now so
having a reliable automated config builder (Maestro?), coordinate
understanding and stable provider will become increasingly valuable as
knowledge and especially for newcomers.