[mapguide-users] Integration with Google Maps

Rodolfo Moreno rmoreno at voxiva.com
Thu Feb 19 11:13:32 EST 2009

When I want to simplyfing a layer I use ArcMap, however it doesn't simplify
KML files.
I guess that first you should simplyfing the layer with some software GIS
desktop and then generate the kmz file.
I know that arcMap has tools for generalizing layers, but likely some open
source GIS desktop like "gvsig" or "mapwindow" could has it.

Regards,

Stefan Dalakov wrote:

> If you are serving it with MGOS, and if the problem is bandwidth or
> it already produced, then you can save as kmz within GE, but I guess the
> problem will be the complexity - GE has difficulty handling big files,
> at least on my machine, so try optimizing the source data. MGOS serves
> not the whole file but a viewport so you will not have this problem if
> you use MGOS.
> I have not ran into a function of software I use, which allows
> processing(simplifying) of an already created  KML.
>
> Stefan Dalakov
>
> Jackie Ng wrote:
>> MapGuide can serve compressed kml (kmz), which is many orders of
>> magnitude
>> smaller in size.
>>
>> - Jackie
>>

>> Sergio Nistal Calvo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have a kml file format, but its size is greater than 10 MB. How can I
>>> reduce its size or simplify in order to upload to Google Maps? I've seen
>>> online a post that says you can simplify it with Manifold GIS, but the
>>> program is not free.
>>>

>>> Thanks.

-----
Rodolfo Moreno